Featured

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Recipe Time: Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Enchiladas

I've been wanting to make this type of enchilada for a while now, but hadn't come across the right recipe. There is a Mexican restaurant here called Hector's (it's awesome!) and they have a dish I love called the Ranchero Burrito, and I thought maybe I would be able to replicate it at home. I found this recipe on pinterest, but I ended up changing it completely. So here is the original recipe that I came up with and it my husband and I thought it was amazing! I hope you like it too!


Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Enchiladas

ingredients

1 to 2 pound beef roast- I think the one I used was a top round roast (I usually just buy whatever is the cheapest)

1 medium onion, diced (you could also add onion flakes if you're in a pinch and don't have an onion on hand)

1  14.5 oz can beef broth

2  10 oz cans red (mild) enchilada sauce

1/4 tsp red pepper

1/4 tsp Spanish paprika

1/4 tsp black pepper

4 large burrito sized tortillas

1 16 oz can refried beans

1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Optional ingredients: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream

directions

Place the roast in your crock pot and sprinkle with red pepper, black pepper, and paprika. Add diced onion. Pour in beef broth and one can of red enchilada sauce. Let cook 6-8 hours on low setting. *It should fall apart easily when it's finished

After 6-8 hours, remove roast from crock pot and set aside. Add the other can of red enchilada sauce to the remaining sauce in the crock pot and stir. This adds more flavor and thickens the sauce just a bit.

Turn on oven to low broil.

Heat refried beans in the microwave until hot. (This was my hubby's job and I have no idea how long he left them in the microwave, sorry)

Add a generous amount of refried beans and shredded beef, along with a small sprinkle of cheddar cheese down the center of a tortilla and fold like a burrito. Place it on a oven-safe plate or baking dish and cover with enchilada sauce from the crock pot. Then sprinkle with more cheddar cheese. You can add as much or as little cheese as you like. I like a lot of cheese on mine!

Place the plate into oven until cheese is nice and melted.

Remove from the oven-VERY CAREFULLY- and add extras on the side such as lettuce, diced tomato, sour cream, pretty much anything you like. I also like to serve mine with tortilla chips.

Enjoy!

**Please be sure to take care when handling the hot plates. If you don't want to worry about having hot plates, you can always use a baking dish, but then you won't get the plate full of sauce and cheese that makes this dish so good!

I'm sorry about the poor photos. It was already pretty dark by the time we had dinner. And the kids were very tired, so I didn't add lettuce or tomato like I normally would have.



I turned the flash on and it helped a little. I try to get better pics next time I make it!



Let me know if you try it and what you think!

Linking up here:
33 Shades of Green



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment