Featured

Monday, August 8, 2011

Homemade Finger Paint

This is actually another Pinterest project.  I pinned a recipe for homemade finger paint a while back and finally tried it last week.  However, my first attempt did not turn out well.  The recipe that I pinned didn't include much detail, so I was just kinda winging it.  The paint I ended up with was waaaay too thick...who am I kidding, it didn't even remotely resemble paint.  It was like Jello.  I was determined though, and decided to try it again this morning.  This time it turned out perfect!

Recipe
2 cups water
1/2 cup corn starch
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
food coloring

Directions
Mix water, corn starch, sugar and salt in a small saucepan and warm over low heat letting mixture thicken.  The mixture tends to thicken on the bottom of the pan first, so be sure to stir it often!  The heating process took about 15 minutes. The consistency should resemble ketchup when you remove it from the heat.  Let cool, but stir occasionally while cooling.  The mixture seems to thicken more after removing from heat.  Once it's cooled, divide into small airtight containers and add desired food coloring. I used baby food jars this time, but would like to buy some better containers for the next batch.

Ingredients

Here is what it looks like then you start.

 I took this pic just before removing it from the heat. You can see that it's sticking to the wisk.

 And here is the final product after adding food coloring.

 It's so pretty!

Hudson hasn't gotten to paint with it yet because he fell asleep.  I can't wait for him to wake up and try it out.  Hopefully when I take the lids off and stir it up a little it will still be thin enough to paint with!  I will let you know, but so far so good as of right now!

P.S. I think my photography skills are getting better everyday.  What do you think?



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment