Featured

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Dangerous Flooding

I am from a small town on the Missouri River in northeast Nebraska called South Sioux City, which is currently under a major flood warning.  The city is already flooding, but within the next week or so, the entire town could possibly be under water.  That also includes the surrounding cities; Sioux City, IA and Dakota Dunes, SD.  I have both family and friends living in the area who are under evacuation and dealing with moving entirely or at least removing their belongings from their basements and lower levels.  It's totally insane!!  Nothing like this has happened in my lifetime! 

This is just one photo of how it looks now...but in a few days it will look much worse.

You can see on the left the line of trees which is usually where the water stops.  It's estimated to rise 10 more feet before is all said and done and will be that way for most of the summer.

My grandpa lives in Dakota Dunes, SD where they are building a levee to keep the town from being destroyed, but there is no way of knowing if the levee will hold, so he will probably have to evacuate.

In the meantime, I'm 2 weeks from my due date and can't travel to help with anything.  And I've caught my eighth cold of this pregnancy!  Things are totally crazy around here to say the least!  That's why I haven't been blogging this week, but hopefully I'll be back at it next week.  At least with a few posts anyway.

Any prayers you could send this way would be much appreciated!

*image can be found here*




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment