Featured

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Recipe Time: Parmesan Honey Pork Roast & Brussel Sprouts

Hi! Today I wanted to share with you another recipe that I found on the best website EVER, Pinterest. I actually bought the food to make it two weeks ago, but my hubby accidentally left the pork roast in the shopping bag on the counter all night. Oops. So, I had to buy another one.

Anyway, both these recipes were really tasty. I definitely recommend giving them a whirl.


Parmesan Honey Pork Roast
original recipe pinned from Six Sisters Stuff

Ingredients:
1 (2-3 pound) boneless pork roast

2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup honey

3 Tbsp soy sauce

2 Tbsp dried basil

2 Tbsp minced garlic

2 Tbsp olive oil

1/2 tsp salt

2 Tbsp cornstarch

1/4 cup cold water


Directions:
Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place roast in slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the cheese, honey, soy sauce, basil, garlic, oil and salt; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.

Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy

*Notes*
I thought I had garlic on hand, but I didn't and didn't realize it until I was already half way through preparing things, so I substituted with garlic powder. I'm sure the flavor would have been much better with the real thing.

I thought the roast was really delicious, however, the next time I make it, I think I'll cut the amount of soy sauce in half. I would've liked it to be a little sweeter. I tend to like sweeter sauces over pork. But it was soooo tender and had great flavor. My husband loved it too.

Brussel Sprouts
original recipe adapted from Elise Blaha

As I mentioned before in this post about my One Little Word for the year, I chose the word Nourish. Part of the reason I chose that word is because I wanted to become more aware of the kinds of foods I was putting in my body and make positive changes in my diet. So that's where this recipe comes in to play. I wasn't raised on vegetables. In fact, the only two vegetables that were ever served in our house were potatoes and corn, so over the years I've been trying to acquire a taste for more vegetables, especially green vegetables. It's still a work in progress. So far I've learned to love asparagus...

I've been seeing lots of recipes that make brussel sprouts look so delicious, so I figured why not give them a try?! I came across a new blog that I'm totally in love with, and that's where I found this recipe.

Ingredients:
Fresh or frozen brussel sprouts, chopped
About 2 tbsp olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Unseasoned, chopped pecans
Large pinch of shaved parmesan cheese

Directions:
Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.

As that gets warmed up, chop your sprouts. The smaller you chop them the better. Cut them in half or fourths if they're big. The frozen ones I used were pretty tiny, so I just cut most in half.

Toss the sprouts into the pan and add a bit more olive oil. Stir them up and sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder. This is an add to taste situation.

Let them cook for about 5 minutes then add chopped, unseasoned pecans. About a handful.

Stir the pecans with the sprouts and continue to cook for about 5 more minutes or so.

Right before you turn off the heat, sprinkle with a big pinch of shaved parmesan cheese.

Turn off the heat and stir in the parmesan.

*Notes*
I've never eaten brussel sprouts in my life, but let me tell you, I really liked these...a lot.

In the original recipe she used garlic salt and pepper. I used garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper. So good! I think it's pretty much just a matter of taste.



Today I'm linking up here:

*images are from the original posts*
I tried to take my own photos, but it was dark outside by that time and they didn't turn out.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment