Featured

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner

One of my favorite things for dinner is breakfast, especially when you're short on time.  A couple of months ago I found a simple looking recipe in Everyday Food using a muffin tin to make breakfast.  Well, I finally got around to trying it last night and it was delicious!  Here it is:

Bacon, Egg and Toast Cups

Recipe
makes 6
total time:  35 min

3 tbsp unsalted, melted butter
8 slices white or wheat sandwich bread
6 slices bacon or crumbled sausage
6 large eggs
coarse salt and pepper to season

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly butter 6 standard muffin cups. (I used a cupcake tin instead because I didn't have a muffin tin and it worked just fine.)  With a rolling pin, flatten bread slices slightly and, with a 4 1/2 inch cookie cutter, cut into 8 rounds. ( I didn't have a cookie cutter, so I used the largest glass I had and just cut around the circle.  Worked great.)  Cut each round in half, then press 2 halves into each muffin cup, overlapping slightly and making sure bread comes up to edge of cup.  Use extra bread to patch any gaps. (Because I used a cupcake tin, I only  needed one piece of bread per cup.)  Brush bread with remaining butter.

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until almost crisp.  4 minutes, flipping once.  It will continue to cook in oven. (I cooked my bacon in the microwave for 3 minutes to make it even faster and much less clean-up.)    Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup and crack an egg over each.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bake until egg whites are just set, 20 to 25 minutes.  Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts.  Serve immediately.

These were so easy to make and yummy too.  A fun meal to serve for breakfast or dinner.  Kids would love to help!  Here is an after picture:

I only made 4, so the recipe is easily adjustable.

I wish I would've taken a picture of them on the plate so you could see the golden brown toast.  Sorry!

Enjoy!!

I'm linking up this recipe here:
33 Shades of Green
Photobucket

1 comment: