Featured

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

3:00 A.M. Surprise

Yesterday morning around 3:00 A.M.  I woke up to one hot house!  I got up and turned the heat down without even looking to see what the temperature in the house was and tried to go back to bed, but the heat didn't turn off.  It just kept running and running.  So, I got up again to make sure that I turned it down and not up.  Come to find out that it was 87 degrees in our house!!  What??  How long had the heat been running to get it that hot?  Anyway, I turned the thermostat off, opened a few windows (even though it was only 30 degrees outside) and then tried to turn it back on.  But, every time I would turn it back on, the heat would kick on again. 

My major concern was little Hudson in his bed with pants and long sleeves on!  I knew I couldn't go into his room to open a window without waking him though.  So, I hoped that having the other windows open would cool his room too.

We figured that it had to be that the thermostat was malfunctioning and that we probably just needed  a new one...at least that's what we were hoping!  The last thing we need right now is to have to have our furnace repaired.
The old thermostat...not very efficient, but still functional

Anyway, Jeremy ran out last night and bought a new one and sure enough, that's was the answer to our problem!!  Thank goodness!!  Needless to say, we slept great last night and are happy to finally have a programmable thermostat. (Yeah we're a little behind the times, but we didn't really need one because I'm home all the time)
It might not be the fanciest thermostat, but it's good enough for us.

 The hubby getting it all set up.

 Here is the pretty new thermostat.  As you can see in the picture, the old one was much bigger, so we have a little paint touching up to do today.

We were very relieved that it was just the thermostat and nothing major and it gave us an excuse to finally purchase a nicer, programmable one!

I even think it looks better than the old one!

So, now you know, if your furnace or air conditioner won't stop running, the solution could simply be to replace your thermostat.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad it wasn't anything major. Our furnace acted up this winter and some sensors had to be replaced. It was expensive. Oh the joys of home ownership.

    ReplyDelete